Monday, July 28, 2008

The No Complaining Rule by Jon Gordon

The No Complaining Rule could be considered a self-help book. Though the way the information is presented brings it into an entirely new category.

The No Complaining Rule is told as a story. The story of Hope, Vice President of Human Resources at a computer company. The story starts out with Hope going through some person problems, she comes into work to find out the company is also experiencing some problems. Her boss, Dan leaves it up to Hope to help them find their way out of this mess, specifically with employee moral and negativity. Through some encounters with others Hope bases her plan for long term improvement on the No Complaining Rule. She uses this rule for her company but also herself and her family.

Throughout the book we get to learn about the No Complaining Rule ourselves and how it works. When I originally heard about this book I was expecting lots of lists, bullet points, and charts. There are hardly any in this book! I really liked the way this information was presented. It was presented in an entertaining way which in the end helps you retain the information much better than a bunch of lists and charts.

This book has made me think a lot about my negativity and complaining. I'll take a short detour and talk about my experiences with complaining. I, personally don't like to complain to people that aren't my family or close to it. I complain to them a lot they already know me, what can i do about it (ask my mother). I think that too much complaining can be seen as a weakness. But on the other hand if someone asks me how I am I'm not going to lie and say "Oh fantastic".

Here are the things I mainly complain about (ask my mother again):
1. I'm tired
2. I'm tired
3. My blank hurts (insert a rotating variety of body parts)

In the book they explain how there are two kinds of complaining, random mindless complaining that has no reason or point, it is done out of boredom and just stresses everyone out. Then there is complaining for an actual reason. It is explained that it is alright to complain but you better come prepared with a way to take action to fix this complaint. It's also pointed out that you should complain to someone that can actually do something about your complaint not just a random bystander.

It is suggested that you take a week to try out the No Complaining Rule, it sort of showcases to you all the negativity you feel and let out of your mouth. It puts a spotlight on it so you can start to control it. It is also explained that once you complain you should add a but to the sentence and add something you are thankful for. For example: I hate getting up at 6am every morning to go to work (I do), but I am thankful that I am able to have a job (I am).

There is definitely a lot of great information presented in this book and it is done in such a way that it's rather exciting! It is great for upper management, managers, regular people, just about anyone!

The No Complaining Rule was released earlier this summer in June.
3.5/5 Stars
Review copy provided by author

Do you complain a lot? What do you complain about the most?

7 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like something I should read!

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:06 AM

    Nope - I am not a complainer. Once I started tapping into the Law of Attraction philosophy, my whole attitude changed.

    My husband on the other hand - eek! Let's just say, he got a lot out of the book...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ambeen- Yeah it was pretty enjoyable. I haven't really read much of the self improvement literature but I really liked how this one was presented. I had never thought about it being presented as a story, it was a pleasant surprise!

    J. Kaye- What's the law of attraction philosophy? Is it something about you get what you put out there, like you can attract negativity? That's my shot in the dark guess.

    Is your husband doing a review?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:38 PM

    Yes, he is. :) Here's a good link to an article about the law of attraction:

    http://healing.about.com/cs/selfactualization/a/lawofattraction.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. J. Kaye- Thanks! I'll definitely read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. naida- thanks! I enjoyed yours too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...