Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Let the Right One In

From Amazon.com:

Oscar, a 12-year-old fragile and bullied boy, finds love and revenge through Eli, a beautiful but peculiar girl he befriends, who moves into his building. When Oscar discovers that Eli is a vampire it does not deter his increasing feelings and confused emotions of a young adolescent. When Eli loses the man who protects and provides for her, and as suspicions are mounting from her neighbors and police she must move on to stay alive. However when Oscar faces his darkest hour, Eli returns to defend him the only way she can.

Let the Right One In is highly original. For some reason I hadn't realized it was based on a book, but I shouldn't be surprised, some of the best movies were first books.

Let the Right One In is a creepy, quiet, and eerie movie and I thought it was pure genius. Though it moved at a slow pace my eyes were pretty much glued to the screen. There was a lot going on, bullying, blood sucking, murder, and loneliness and eventually friendship and love. It just worked.

I think the one thing that bothered me was a lack of a backstory of Eli and also another character from the beginning of the film. It's only hinted at but not much more. I believe that it's expanded greatly in the book according to a bit of research I did.

This movie brings you through a roller coaster of emotions, fear and sadness but also love. I really liked it and am disappointed to hear that Hollywood is already working on their own version as we speak. So much for letting this movie bask in the limelight. I would highly suggest this movie, and for people that scare easy like me, I would call it more creepy than scary. And for people that hate subtitles, it's there is also a dubbed over English track.

Let the Right One In was released on dvd March 10th.

4.5/5 Stars
Watched via Netflix

10 comments:

  1. I just add it to my Netflix cache(: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY - I'm so glad you saw this! I want to discuss the end with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome. I'm definitely going to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But I appeal to people to SEE the Swedish version with subtitles. Dubbed takes away from the story, really!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've wanted to see this for like....everrr now. I knew it was a book and can hopefully read it at some point, though I'm thinking chances are I'll see the film before I read the book, but that's okay.

    Glad you liked it.
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. Book or Movie? Movie or Book? Most likely movie for this one -- some midnight when I'm all alone . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorites from last year. And NOT a happy ending. At all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Danny S10:11 PM

    The ending is initially happy... but that's about as happy as it gets. There is absolutely no way the kids will remain happy in the long run. That's i think the most horrific part of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great comments everyone! This movie was definitely a great example of why you have to watch all the crap, to find a gem like this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree with your complaint about the lack of back story between Eli and her companion. I enjoyed the book more, but the film was a great adaptation. The visuals were really beautiful.

    I'm also disappointed that the US has the strange urge to remake good movies into mediocre crap.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...