Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hardcover vs Paperback 80

I So Don't Do Mysteries by Barrie Summy

Hardcover

Paperback

Amazon.com:


Laughs, ghosts, and a lip-gloss-loving teen sleuth!

Sherry (short for Sherlock) Holmes Baldwin is spending spring break in California with her best friend, Junie. She can’t wait to hang out in the sun, hit the mall, and spend time with cutie-pie Josh.

Then . . . a freaky change of plans. Sherry’s mom, a cop killed in the line of duty, contacts her. Not only is she a ghost, she’s a ghost in danger of flunking out of the Academy of Spirits, and she needs Sherry’s help. Unless she solves an important mystery in San Diego, she’ll be banished to an afterlife for ghost failures!

If Sherry wants to be a normal seventh grader (as in, one who doesn’t communicate with ghosts), she can’t tell anybody about her mom—or what she has to do. Not her brother, not Junie, and especially not Josh. It’s up to Sherry alone to save the day. Except . . . she so doesn’t do mysteries.

I feel like there is something nice about both of these but also something missing. And neither really say ghosts to me. I get that it's a mystery but not a ghost mystery. I do think that changing from illustration to photography will help the book find a older audience though.

Hardcover or Paperback?

Have you spotted a Hardcover vs. Paperback you would like to contribute? Send me an email!


12 comments:

  1. I like both covers. I think it looks like a cute middle grade book that is perfect for the 10-14 crowd. I've heard great things about the book too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both cute, but I think I prefer the paperback cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the hardback cover by far :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hardcover looks younger, but it's much more interesting to me than the paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:16 PM

    I actually like both covers and it sounds like such a cute book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely the paperback

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! What a fun debate! When I do school visits, I actually take a poll to see which cover the students prefer. In general, 4th and 5th graders choose the cartoon cover. My own fourth grader, however, prefers the paperback version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:52 PM

    I like the paperback one :) My 11 year old daughter read this and really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like both covers, and I think both would appeal to the target audience equally.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the paperback better--cute and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:17 AM

    While I think the hardcover has more personality, I like the paperback more. The girl on the cover with her hair in curlers looks like she would be fun to read about. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...