Sunday, July 11, 2010

Alea's BEA Picks On A Theme or OMGGGG!

I know this is a little late, but it's never too late to be exciting about books! BEA got me excited about a lot of books and for some reason I noticed a few themes within those books so here are my BEA Picks on a Theme! I can't wait to read them!

College Girls

Cum Laude (6/1/10) by Cecily von Ziegesar and The Ivy (8/31/10) by Lauren Kunze with Rina Onur both deal with college, which I love love love to read about but it's sort of uncommon in the type of fiction I read... until now! I know The Ivy is the beginning of a series, I wonder if the same can be said for Cum Laude?

Girl Detectives

Girl's Best Friend (10/12/10) by Leslie Margolis and Judy Moody: Girl Detective (8/10/10) by Megan McDonald are both about young female detectives, which I must say I adore! Girl's Best Friend (I couldn't find the cover but I can tell you this, it's damn cute!) even mentioned Harriet the Spy on the back, count me in!

True Vows Series

This Fall HCI is launching a new line of romances, reality based romances called True Vows, what a very cool concept. Their first three are The Icing on the Cake (9/14/10) by Alison Kent, Hard to Hold (9/14/10) by Julie Leto, and Meet Me in Manhattan (9/14/10) by Judith Arnold. These three were my most anticipated book signings at BEA and honestly I can't even pick one I'm most excited about, they all sound great!

Vampires

I know, I know what you are thinking. Haven't I been saying for the last year I'm sick of paranormal and vampires.... well yes, for the most part. But these 3 vampire books seem to be utterly original in a sea of books that are all the same give or take a vampire or werewolf! Let's see what we've got here, iDrakula (10/1/10) by Bekka Black is remake of Drakula told in texts, emails and websites, Bloodthirsty (10/5/10) by Flynn Meaney is about a pale kid pretending to be a vampire to get girls (!!!), and Fat Vampire (7/27/10) by Adam Rex is about just that, a fat vampire! This is where paranormal should be heading, bravo!

Young Adult Historical Fiction

I'm slowly coming around to historical fiction (especially historical romances!) but at BEA I was taken with two Young Adult historical fiction books, Dangerous Neighbors (8/24/10) by Beth Kephart and Prisoners in the Palace (10/13/10) by Michaela MacColl. Dangerous Neighbors looks to be a mysterious story about two twin sisters set around the Philadelphia Centennial fair of 1876 and Prisoners in the Palace takes us back to the time before Queen Victoria is Queen, seen through the eyes of one of her lady's maids.

Girly Books

Who doesn't like a good girly book, I know I sure do! Claire LaZebnik (author of The Smart One and the Pretty One which I adored) returns with If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now (9/27/10) about a young mother and her son returning home, Chasing Perfect (4/27/10) by Susan Mallery starts off her new series, Fool's Gold about a town with tons of women and not enough men, Carly Phillips also starts off a new series with Kiss Me If You Can (7/27/10) about the most eligible bachelor and the woman that could care less, and finally All I Ever Wanted (7/27/10) by Kristan Higgins (which I've already read and loved!) about a women, her boss that she loves and the vet she falls for when she's trying to get over her boss!

High School

I just adore high school stories, too bad most of them are paranormal these days.... here are a few that don't appear to be! In Accomplice (8/1/10) by Eireann Corrigan we have a staged disappearance gone wrong, in The Mockingbirds (11/2/10) by Daisy Whitney we encounter a secret society, in Girl Parts (8/10/10) by John M. Cusick a female Companion bot, in The Duff (9/7/10) by Kody Keplinger a girl falls for a guy who's guts she hates, and in Mostly Good Girls (10/5/10) by Leila Sales we head to boarding school!

So there we have it! What sounds good to you?

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:11 PM

    What a cute post. I like your list. The girlie books and high school most interest me. Oh, and the girl detectives. And the vampires. and and and

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only one of those books I got was Dangerous Neighbors and I'm really looking forward to it. Judy Moody looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome post Alea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can not wait for the release of I Dracula (october in uk) i feel like i have been waiting for this forever

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to showcase your BEA books! I too have a couple of these on my list to read. UGH, so many books so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Ivy was HIGHLY entertaining. Can't wait to hear what you think of it! I also LOVED THE DUFF and I'm dying to read THE MOCKINGBIRDS. Safe to say we have similar tastes in our YA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to Dangerous Neighbors! But several of the books you got look good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Ivy is one I can’t wait to read.

    I’m a new fan of historical fiction (especially YA). I’ll have to look into the two you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...