Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Hardcover vs Paperback 104

After You by Julie Buxbaum

Hardcover

Paperback


The complexities of a friendship. The unexplored doubts of a marriage. And the redemptive power of literature... Julie Buxbaum, the acclaimed author of The Opposite of Love, delivers a haunting, gloriously written novel about love, family, and the secrets we hide from each other--and ourselves.

It happened on a tree-lined street in Notting Hill to a woman who seemed to have the perfect life. Ellie Lerner’s best friend, Lucy, was murdered in front of her young daughter. And, as best friends do, Ellie dropped everything--her marriage, her job, her life in the Boston suburbs--to travel to London and pick up the pieces of Lucy’s life. While Lucy’s husband, Greg, copes with his grief by retreating into himself, eight-year-old Sophie has simply stopped speaking.

Desperate to help Sophie, Ellie turns to a book that gave her comfort as a child, The Secret Garden. As the two spend hours exploring the novel’s winding passageways, its story of hurt, magic, and healing blooms around them. But so, too, do Lucy’s secrets--some big, some small--secrets Lucy kept hidden, even from her best friend. Over a summer in London, as Ellie peels back the layers of her friend’s life, she’s forced to confront her own as well: the marriage she left behind, the loss she’d hoped to escape. And suddenly Ellie’s carefully constructed existence is spinning out of control in a chain of events that will transform her life--and those around her--forever. A novel that will resonate in the heart of anyone who’s had a best friend, a love lost, or a past full of regrets, After You proves once again the unique and compelling talent of Julie Buxbaum.

First of all, doesn't this book sound interesting? Personally I'm much more attracted to the hardcover, just the fact that it hints that it's about more than just a little girl (like the paperback) makes it more interesting to me. Also I love love love love the use of white space and the font used for the title, the paperback positions the title right over the image which sometimes doesn't work for me, like here.

Thanks to Violet Crush who pointed out this H vs P!

Have you spotted a Hardcover vs. Paperback you would like to contribute? Send me an email!

8 comments:

  1. though I do like the hardcover picture better I am more of a paperback person when it comes to reading I just don't like reading hardcovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the hardcover more too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ladystorm- I 1 million% agree with you. I'll buy a paperback over a hardcover any day. I'm just talking about the artwork. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:16 PM

    I like the hardcover version. Not only is it cute, but it draws you in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the paperback better, only because the hardcover goes completely against the description of Elle in the book which always irks me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:21 PM

    Hardcover. It always drew me in at the bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the hardcover pic better. The paperback just looks too much like other book covers. The hardcover is more striking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the paperback cover :)






    ----------------------------------
    BookCreak

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...